Let the drama of live music wash over you Sunday, March 8, as the School of Creative Arts presents Concerto Showcase—a special concert of the Windsor Community Orchestra conducted by Peter Wiebe, with five UWindsor music student soloists.
The event will take place at 2:30 p.m. in the Heritage Auditorium, Assumption Hall, and will feature winners of the concerto competition:
- Carl Binasoy, piano, performing Concerto No. 1, in G minor, Movements I and II by Felix Mendelssohn;
- David Katich-McNamara, baritone, performing “Non siate ritrosi” from Cosi fan tutte by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart;
- Sebastian Bachmeier, alto saxophone, performing Concertino in C minor by Carl Maria von Weber;
- Leah Wilkinson, mezzo-soprano, performing “Connais-tu le pays” from Mignon by Ambroise Thomas; and
- Jasmine Long, cello, performing Concerto No. 1 in E minor, Movements III and IV by Edward Elgar.
The orchestra is an auditioned ensemble consisting of music students and non-professional community members, often including high school students. Find more details, including biographical sketches of each soloist, on the event website.
Tickets are $10, $5 for students, and are available for advance purchase by phone at 519-253-3000, ext. 4212, or online at www.uwindsor.ca/music.