As 3,200 newly-minted UWindsor alumni set out in search of their first professional employment, the June Career Information Brief, published by the Centre for Career Education, offers a number of strategies to help them make the most of the crucial first year in a job.
- Ask questions—you are not expected to know everything on your first day.
- Find a mentor—either formally or informally, learn from those who are further along in their career journeys.
- Set goals—while these may change over time, it can be very motivating to have a target you are trying to reach.
- Dress for success—assess your wardrobe and make an investment in some suitable attire for the workplace.
- Avoid distractions—your focus should be on your work.
- Keep learning—keep your skills up-to-date.
- Go above and beyond—make sure to not just meet the expectations of your employer, but exceed them.
- Be respectful—acknowledge others and respect their expertise.